Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Access to library sharpens students’ dreams


At the height of teachers’ strike which paralysed learning across the country, Nguruman Maarifa library was a beehive of activities seeing students coming from far and wide for their private studies while others borrowed books for reading at home. Being the only resource centre around Nguruman with curriculum textbooks and other relevant reading materials, students flocked to have access to the library resources. 

Monica Mwangi, form three student at Patterson memorial studying at the Maarifa centre library
Fanklin Saitoti, a form one student at Patterson Memorial Secondary School said that, though teachers strike had a negative effect on their studies, he had an opportunity to utilize the Maarifa centre library to do his studies… “I have been using the Maarifa centre library to read ahead of the teacher and I trust this will help me catch up with what my teachers will teach when studies resume… this has also kept me busy and helped me refrain from bad company…” added Frank.

Emmanuel Kimeu, a form three student at the same school had a different version of the story… “I have learned how to use computers from the Maarifa centre and when I feel tired after reading at the centres’ library, I take 20 minutes to get to social media and connect with my on-line friends before embarking to my studies… Thanks to the supporters of the facility…” He added.

One of the teachers, Mrs Maureen Omondi who has always been following to know whether the students are utilizing the facility backed the initiative and wished all students could realize its importance… “I have my thumps up for students who are utilizing the facility and I wish to encourage all students to make use of the facility… thanks to ALIN for the initiative and support…” she added…

The same sentiments have been echoed by local leaders while addressing community members during a past event. Mr Kamango ole Nkaleyia during the re-launch of the Maarifa centre encouraged the community members have hands on with the modern technology otherwise ‘they will remain in darkness while the other world is enjoying light’…” Senior Chief Mr. Sereu also encouraged community members to utilize the facility sighting that, he is one of the beneficiaries since he has been a computer student and was graduating after completing his training… “I have received this certificate today because I have qualified and have every reason to invite you for the same…” he said holding high his certificate.

No comments:

Post a Comment